5 Must See Destinations in Turkey
Turkey is fast becoming one of the hottest travel destinations. It is known for it’s beautiful, cosmopolitan atmosphere and amazing cuisine. Everything for your trip to Turkey can be researched and bought from travel websites, from online travel insurance to flights and accommodation. For the top five must-see destinations in Turkey, go no further than this list:
1. Fetiye – Fetiye is a city in the Aegean Province of Turkey, located on the site of the ancient city of Telmessos, of which the ruins can be seen today. Aside from being home to historical legends, Fetiye is known for it’s stunning beaches.
The small resort village of Oludeniz is one of the most photographed beaches on the Mediterranean. A sandy bay that extends into the blue lagoon of Oludeniz, this beach area is often rated one of the top five beaches of the world. It boasts clear, white sand and the alluring blue shades of turquoise and aquamarine water. An official Blue Flag beach, this is one place you must visit when in Turkey.
2. Dalyan – Dalyan is a town located on the southwest coast of Turkey. Dalyan is home to the great loggerhead sea turtle species, that inhabit the near by Iztuzu Beach. This area was saved from development back in the eighties and was shot to fame worldwide. The carretta-carretta can be seen on Iztuzu Beach.
The second reason to visit Dalyan is the world-renowned mud baths that, legend has it, Cleopatra indeed made trips to in her lifetime. Even the rich and famous of today make their way to these baths that are known for their healing and beautifying properties.
The final reason to visit Dalyan is to see the Lycian rock tombs. Cut into the sheer, rocky cliffs along the river, you can see the weathered facades of the tombs from around 400 BC.
3. Cappadocia – Cappadocia is located in central Turkey. It’s unusual geological formations known as fairy chimneys have been inhabited by the locals for many centuries and is now a UNESCO World Heritage site.
Ancient people carved out houses and temples in the natural rock formations. This has resulted in a charming landscape of pointy, fairytale dwellings and magnificent temple facades carved into rock faces.
4. Bodrum – Bodrum is well known beautiful beaches and a vibrant night life. It is most famous however, for the Medieval Castle that lies on the coast of the old port-side town. Bodrum Castle was built in 1402 by the Crusaders. Bodrum is also the site of the Mausoleum of Halicarnassus, once considered one of the Seven Wonders of the World.
So aside from lying on the beaches all day and partying all night, you can fit in some amazing site seeing.
5. Istanbul – Istanbul is Turkey’s most well known historic city and contains an impressive amount of wonders to behold. From trying the local cuisine to shopping at the Grand Bazaar and relaxing at a local bath house there are also famous sites such as Hagia Sophia, a splendid example of Byzantine architecture, the Blue Mosque and Topkapi Palace.
So after you have prepared your trip online, organised flights, travel insurance, accommodation or even some tours, it’s time to jump on the plane and turn your online plans into an exciting and reality.